Thursday, May 6, 2010


by Becca Geislinger

Explanation: About once a week, I sell books for a local nonprofit.  When I'm not selling the books, they live in the trunk of my car.  When David referred to the ashes on Tuesday as the last remains of our last words, I realized I really wanted to see the juxtaposition of the ashes from our last words and the new words in the books about to be sold.  So, I took 32 of these books, flipped them open, and, without looking, rubbed an ashen thumbprint over some of the text.  Spur of the moment, I decided to copy down every word that was marked by at least some of the thumbprint.  I then decided to make a poem out of the cut-up text fragments.  Everything is in the order I initially read it.  I have not rearranged, changed, added, or removed any words.  I just played with the punctuation.  This is how it turned out. 

I felt myself,
had
cut.
parts were out.
Amanda .
the difference her.
but Amanda. . .  
finds                Tony’s                        consuming.
2 Timothy:
one
serving
as
affairs
that      he     
secured
and,
unless
he
strengthen,
real to inner.
circumvent Barge.
1905-6 .
Tokio.
Brockman.
Juan.
Fakenham.
16 Thetford.
written            if          everyone         it -
later.
calories:
80.
Brecht would.

native              city                  freedom
only you,
going to use
here     there’s.
to Rockefeller
in our pat,
what about some money?
 simple interpretations
of it
is
by their technology
them.
this type of shank
shaft.
the cable
is   f i t t e d     a t    r i g h t.
most sex
on the
with
wrestled
w i t h
 w i t h
t h i s
i n f o r m a t i o n
i n f o r m a t i o n. . . .  
missed it.

Satan.
Liars.
Bush’s seemed as much.
eating his.
if he were finished,
destroy
all their down,
all their shall.
dispossess.
dwell
therein posses it.
shall divide
among your lies.
on a little. . .  
bent,
its pages,
social movements,
support for movement,
led to:
family
taken the Jeffersons
and Tyler
d 
 o
                        w
                                    n    

t           h          e                     p          a          t           h.
found.
a large food.
the happen.
her it’s.
her doing.
if.

the illegals eventually discard time.
racial democracy is defined as artifactual political.
between
1          9          8          3
where
radio-active
hundred
are found.
drop.
in the lower-middle stratum,
from the men,
states topic
 purpose
purpose
objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment